Sunday, April 29, 2012

Creative Writing #3

Sobre quando fui no Rogers Centre (estádio do Toronto Blue Jays) pra ver o meu primeiro jogo da NFL (Buffalo Bill's e Washington Redskins). 

"Every Torontonian knows that, on a game day, south of Front Street and Union Station is going to be filled with sports fans. Jays, Raptors or Leafs, it makes no matter, the lake comes crashing in and all you can see is a sea of blue people, wearing jerseys to support their teams. On that particular Sunday, though, the blue belonged to Buffalo as the Bills were playing the Washing Redskins on Rogers Centre for the National Football League. 'Want the NFL? Go to the NFL' said a banner hanging in one of the stadium's many gates. And that was precisely what we were doing. Canadians fans of American football. 

After a quick entrey on Rogers Centre, with no problems whatsoever, I was given a small blue towel with the Bills logo (a buffalo, of course) that said 'Lead the Charge', so I could spin it around as they scored. A couple of ramps later, I was at an outer ring of the stadium and started looking for guidance and pointing arrows. There were the usual food joints, lines everywhere, blue and red fans coming and going, families, friends and couples. It always makes me smile to see a couple wearing jerseys from rival teams. After some steps, I looked to my right and saw one of the hallways leading to the field and seats. I didn't bother to check if it was the right one because I was immediately draw to it. The end of it was barely visible yet it didn't seem possible.

Once through it, I stopped and let my eyes do their job. That was it. Thousands of seats everywhere, empty and occupied; to immediate sides, steep steps going all the way up. As my view followed the rings of seats, they reached the opposite side of where I was and people there were just so small that if I screamed something and the stadium was dead quiet I wonder if they'd be able to listen to my words. And, most important of all, right in front of me was the green field, both teams already practicing on opposite sides of it with several footballs. 

I took pictures but I feel I should just delete them because they don't make me experience the same feeling and extremely poor descriptions of that moment. How could I limit this to a computer screen when I feel my eyesight is failing me because there's just so much to see? This is it. This is the NFL. Game on."